This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

High Quality Video Stutters or Doesn't Start

Jun 9, 2015 at 3:01 PM
Hey,

Been using this library for my app for a while now and its been pretty great so far. The only issues that I've had with the video playback tends to be its inability to handle high quality streams.

It will either stutter non stop or just not start all together. This can also happen with higher bitrate and high framerate streams.

Is this just a limitation of hardware? Or is this something that the library can't handle? Are there work arounds that people have come up with or is this just a know issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Ryan
Coordinator
Jun 9, 2015 at 4:10 PM
Yes, there are specific hardware limitations. Take a look at the "Supported media codecs for Windows Phone 8" page. Once playback gets started, the phonesm code does not dig through the compressed stream data; it is fed as-is to the operating system.

Certain streams contain odd data that some decoders handle better than others. If the desktop VLC chokes on a stream, then it is likely to be a problem for the phone's hardware decoder as well (even if it meets the requirements on the "Supported" page).
Jun 9, 2015 at 7:13 PM
Looking deeper into the issue, it does appear to be just limitations to the phones resources.

Another question real quick, is there a way to limit frame rate on a stream? Like in the media element? Or is that pretty much just not handled?
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2015 at 4:01 AM
One might be able to remove all but the I frames from the stream and thereby drop the frame rate (one could skip I-frames too), but that would be a non-trivial project. The trick would be to find something to do to the stream so that the extra work changing the stream plus the work to decode the altered stream takes less effort than decoding the original stream.