This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Can this be Used on a Classic ASP website

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:45 PM
We have a classic ASP website - using a Akamai hls stream - can this code be used in a classic web page? thanks.
Coordinator
Dec 12, 2014 at 2:28 PM
If you do need to play an HLS stream and you want to play it in a webpage with Silverlight or if you want to play it on Windows Phone or Windows 8.1, then you could use phonesm to play the stream. You might find it easier to use something focused on playing in a webpage (FlowPlayer?).
Dec 12, 2014 at 2:59 PM
Well we currently use JW player to play HDS in Flash and HLS for ipods/ipads - but it does not support windows phone 8.1 yet. So we were trying to find someway to play the HLS on Windows Phone 8.1. I didn't know if I could just use phonesm like another plugin or not. But I guess its more for DotNet Web projects to be incorporated into the project then to be used as a plugin on a webpage?
Coordinator
Dec 12, 2014 at 6:31 PM
If you have MPEG-DASH, then it should "just work" as HTML5 video.

If not, I think you would need an app. Player Framework supports SmoothStreaming and MPEG-DASH.

If you do need to use HLS, then phonesm should be able to play them. The quickest way to check is to download the latest alpha, open Samples.WinRT.sln, put your URL(s) in HlsView\HlsView.Shared\TrackManager.cs. Run it in the debugger and see what happens. Take a look at the Debug->Output window if you have trouble playing it; there may be a hint there.

In the current state of the tree, the difference between an alpha build and a beta build is testing a number of streams on some devices that I have lying about. There is a memory leak in WP8.1's background audio app and there is something goofy going on with Player Framework and VS2013 Update 4 that I'd like to see sorted before doing another build.

There are commercial solutions as well (e.g., 3ivx) (completely unrelated to phonesm).
Dec 12, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Thanks!