This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Make it Compatible With Windows 7 and older

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:48 PM
Hi there,
Is there any possibilities to make it compatible with Windows 7 or older version of windows?
I've tried to make a new WPF Application project and to add references to SM.Media but this does not work. Maybe someone did it allready or there is other solution how to play HLS on windows 7, XP?

Kind Regards.
Coordinator
Nov 14, 2014 at 12:30 AM
The tricky part is that WPF does not support MediaStreamSource. There are a few ways I can think of for you to play under WPF/Win7. You could embed VLC as an ActiveX control, try using DirectShow, Media Foundation, or you could embed a Silverlight control that uses phonesm. The better way of dealing with this stuff is with Media Foundation. Since I already have my hands full dealing with the existing platforms, my sanity requires that a move towards Media Foundation for phonesm means switching WP8, WP81, and Win8.1 from MediaStreamSource, not just adding additional MF variants. (Yes, it's probably time to flush WP7 support. I have already given up on trying to get my remaining WP7 test device to talk to the debugger on my laptop; I have to fire up an old box for that testing.)
Nov 16, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Please focus on the current (and future) platforms only. There are so many other ways to handle this in legacy OS's.
Regarding Windows Phone 7 support: drop it.
Microsoft has just dropped support for registering Windows Phone 7 developer devices, there's a clear tea leaf sign as god as any.

Just my 2 cents.
Coordinator
Nov 17, 2014 at 12:02 AM
Your "2 cents" are appreciated.

To expand on my previous answer, it's not just a matter of where to focus. A rewrite to MF is pretty much a rewrite from scratch. It also means a significant chunk of code in C++. Until the recent VS Community Edition announcement, that seemed like it might make things difficult for many. I had been keeping an eye on the AdDuplex reports to see when WP7 would fall into the single digits, but WP7 is still around 15%. At this rate, it looks like WP8's share will drop below WP7's share before that happens (let's see if WP10 is out before WP8.1 manages to do so). On the other hand, their predictions along with the MS announcement you mentioned, do suggest that it is time to "stick a fork in it." Besides, it's not like I'm going to delete the existing code.

Believe me, supporting everything slightly differently for both VS 2012 (the latest that will support Silverlight/WP7) and VS 2013 (the first to support Win8.1) and dealing with platform idiosyncrasies is not my idea of fun (e.g., WP7's glass-jawed MediaStreamSource and using Microsoft.Bcl.Async in some places).

We'll see if VLC for WP renders this all moot anyway. (Or is the GPL keeping people away from it?)

Would anyone else care to venture an opinion?