This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Black screen after video started

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:19 AM
I use Playerframework with the streamingplugin of the WP8 sample for my WP8.1 Silverlight app to play m3u8.

Everything's fine when testing on emulator. When I test it on a Lumia 520 device, the screen seems turn off after video started while audio is fine. Touching the screen at exact position of buttons of the player control will work well to pause/seek etc. Have to lock the screen and unlock to restore the display. There're nothing error output from debugger.

I have no idea about this. Please help, thanks.
Coordinator
Oct 18, 2014 at 6:34 AM
Does the same thing happen with HlsView.WP8? What about HlsView.WP81 (or even HlsView.Win81)? Does the stream make any difference? Is the stream your are using supported on the Snapdragon S4 MSM8227 (I think that's what's in the Lumia 520)?

Much as the bipbopall sample is starting to make me feel like Donald Duck in "Drip Dippy Donald", it is a good baseline test.

Oh, is the 520 running roughly the same version of WP as the emulator?
Oct 18, 2014 at 6:56 AM
The bipbopall sample works well on my device. Lumia 520 runs WP8.1 Update while what on the emulator is WP8.1.

I've checked the stream. It's H.264 Level 3.1. However, I found H.264 Level 2.1 video could be played well. It's weird that according to the list provided by Microsoft, Snapdragon S4 (MSM8x27) supports Level 4.

Luckily, I changed my request of m3u8 to make it return H.264 Level 2.1 flv, then it works.

Thanks.
Coordinator
Oct 18, 2014 at 9:50 AM
Could it be that the bitrate or frame rate was too high?

Good to hear that you got it working.
Oct 18, 2014 at 10:02 AM
So far I provide an option for Snapdragon S4 users. I'll run more test about bitrate or frame rate.