This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

"Roadmap"

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Cool project - thanks for your effort!

What are your plans with phonesm? Will you continue to work on that project? Will there be a beta and a final version anytime soon?

Currently I am trying ot implement it in my Win81 app together with the playerframework.

Cheers,
Thomas
Coordinator
Dec 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM
You're welcome.

I'm still working on it, admittedly with some intervals of inactivity.

The primary reason the project is listed as "alpha" is that there is no way to propagate meta-information from the code that reads from the web, all the way along the processing pipeline to the code that feeds packets to the MediaElement. This makes it difficult to properly handle read errors (sometimes segments are just missing, sometimes they are silently truncated, etc.), deal with #EXT-X-DISCONTINUITY (currently ignored), and to do things like switch bitrates without first stopping playback. The code currently does what it reasonably can to mitigate this by doing retries on errors, but that will only help if it is a transient problem; it should be able to recover instead of simply stopping playback or feeding known bad data to MediaElement until it chokes (sometimes it "just" gets the A/V out of sync, but usually it will wait for a while and then stop playback with an error).

Also, the SamplePlayer.* apps do not handle certain things they really should (like properly dealing with "navigated from" events and reporting errors to something other than Debug.WriteLine).

There should probably also be a Player Framework-based Win8.1 sample (which is what you are looking at now).

The documentation probably should also be looked at...

In the near term, I hope to have work item 22 and perhaps some timestamp filtering code (per work item 23) sorted. I'm also hoping to get a chance to take another look at the "Why wont these streams work?" discussion.

Since dealing propagating data through the whole processing pipeline will likely break stuff, I'm planning on doing another build before starting that effort. Besides, a number of significant fixes and new features (background audio--thanks to Miksu--and Win8.1 support) have been checked in since the phonesm-20130921 build.

If anyone would like to offer their opinion on what needs to be done and with what priority--or, for that matter, would like tackle something themselves--let me know.