This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.


Feb 17, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Hello Henric!

Great work on getting HLS support to WP! It's needed bad and a project like this is exactly what the developers for Windows Phone need.

I have done some testing and the HLS sample works great with my input m3u8's.

Have you done some more work on this project since january?

Thanks again :)

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:12 AM
You're welcome.

Unfortunately, other commitments (including the day job) have kept me from working on this lately. Some of the code isn't done and other parts really need to be taken out back to be put out of its misery. That said, it seems to reliably for most of the feeds I've tested.
Mar 6, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Edited Mar 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM
I have been doing some more testing on the current version and I keep getting buffer exceptions and the streams never seem to change, but I guess you already knew that :)

I hope you find time to improve this project some time in the future.

Thanks again.
Mar 7, 2013 at 9:26 AM
There are some live streams I've seen that cause problems--I suspect because the server is particularly aggressive about deleting segments that were just returned in a playlist (the ones I have seen have all returned three segments in the playlist). I have also had problems in the past with both the server and phone caches getting in the way (e.g., some servers return 304 in response to If-Not-Modified regardless of the supplied ETag). The code currently uses a random query string uniqueifier; I think that problem is fixed. Running demanding streams that more than the MediaElement can decode can also cause problems: things fall behind, the timestamps get too far out of whack, and eventually MediaElement gives up. The emulator is particularly slow so make sure to test on real hardware (and that the stream is supported). Note that if the required bitrate exceeds the available network bandwidth, then things will obviously not work very well...

I have tested the NASA stream and some others for up to 36 hours at a time (particularly when I was testing the code to handle timestamp wrapping).

Without more details, I can only speculate. If you have a sample URL then I can look at then post it here or email me privately. If not, then try taking a look with Fiddler or Wireshark.
Mar 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM
I sent you a e-mail via the contact button in your profile. Let me know if you don't receive the e-mail.